Solid Waste & Recycling Programs

The City has an exclusive franchise waste agreement with Bertolotti Disposal to collect garbage, recyclables, organics, bulky items, and leaf and limb piles within the city limits.

To start or stop garbage and recycling services, please call the City of Ceres Utilities Department at (209) 538-5757.

To start or stop organics recycling services, please call Bertolotti Disposal at (209) 537-1500.

Special Programs

  • Residential Bulky Item Curbside Collection

Single family homes, duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes, and mobile home parks may arrange for the collection of bulky items (mattresses, sofa, furniture, appliances, etc.) for free. Bulky item collection is limited to 2 times per property per calendar year.  No businesses or apartment complexes. 

For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call Bertolotti Disposal at (209) 537-1500, or click here to visit their website.

  • Residential Used Oil and Filter Curbside Collection

Used Oil and Filter Collection Guide (PDF)

  • Residential Leaf & Limb Collection

Leaves and limbs (tree trimmings) generated from single family homes, duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes may be deposited at curbside for collection. Limbs must be 4 feet or less in length, or 6 inches or less in diameter. Leaf and limb piles are collected on the next business day following the recycling day. No businesses or apartment complexes.

For more information, please call the Public Works Department at (209) 538-5602.


Contact Us

Alfred Dulay
Administrative Analyst
Email Alfred Dulay
Phone: (209) 538-5602

Physical Address
Public Works Department
Solid Waste & Recycling
2220 Hackett Road
Ceres, CA 95307

Attention: Businesses and Multifamily Dwellings

To ensure compliance and/or provide your business with available resources to meet State regulations, please complete the following survey by clicking the link below:

Commercial Recycling and Organics Recycling Survey

  1. Mandatory Commercial Recycling
  2. Mandatory Organics Recycling
  3. Commercial and Organic Waste Reycling Bins 

AB 341 (Chesbro, Chapter 476, Statutes of 2011) sets forth the requirements of the statewide Mandatory Commercial Recycling (MCR) program. Businesses, including public entities and multifamily residential dwellings that consist of 5 or more units, that generate 4 or more cubic yards of commercial solid waste per week shall arrange for recycling services.

Businesses and multifamily properties that meet the thresholds above are required to do one of the following:

  • Arrange for recycling services through the Ceres Utilities Department by calling (209) 538-5757.
  • Reduce amount of waste generated to under 4 cubic yards or less per week (businesses only).
  • Request an annual exemption for one of the qualifying reasons below by calling the Public Works Department at (209) 538-5602.
    • Lack of sufficient space to provide additional bins, 
    • Current business practices already result in a significant reduction in its organic waste, 
    • The business does not generate at least one-half cubic yard of organic waste per week, 
    • Limited term exemptions, 
    • Unforeseen events.

Exemptions will only be granted to those with qualifying proof of a reason listed above. Site visits may be needed for exemption approval. Exemptions will need to be renewed on an annual basis. Failure to renew exemptions may result in non-compliance to the MCR program.


The City of Ceres Public Works Department is pleased to offer the following services to help your business comply with AB 341, AB 1826, and AB 827:

Waste Assessments – the Public Works Department can perform a waste assessment to determine your recycling needs.

Educational Program and Materials – the Public Works Department can develop or provide educational resources to help your business implement the right program to fit your recycling needs. 

Program Compliance – the Public Works Department will help your business meet the requirements of AB 341, AB 1826, and AB 827.

To schedule an appointment or for more information, please call (209) 538-5602, or email